Imagine being able to restart your network equipment remotely. Instead of sending a technician there when the network equipment needs to be restarted. Network manufacturer CTS has developed a PoE converter that allows you to do just that – no matter how far from your location. It is about a PoE-fed equipment that can be restarted completely remotely.
In early 2023, CTS launched a product on the market that powers Power over Ethernet (PoE) products. A product that already saves several of their customers both time and money, but is still unknown to many. Now they want to make the unknown product more famous, because they see a gap in the market. Andreas Johansson, Product Manager at CTS, explains how the product works:
Our PoE converter has a function we call PoE trigger. This makes it possible to restart PoE products remotely: for example an IP camera or a Wi-Fi access point. With our product, the user can easily turn off the power to devices to save energy when they are not in use, or restart devices when an error has occurred, says Andreas.
Another feature worth highlighting is that the CTS PoE converter can withstand very low temperatures. Down to -40 degrees Celsius and up to 75 degrees it is fully functional. This means that it can be mounted in cabinets outdoors without external influence from the weather. The product is unmanageable, which means it does not require extensive installation or configuration, Andreas further explains:
The function of our PoE trigger shuts off the power and data to the equipment on the copper link, when the fiber link goes down. This is done when the fiber port on the other side is shut down. Here you usually need to send out a technician to switch the power off and on, to get the equipment running again. It can take several hours before the problem is solved, and it also costs a lot of money to send out a technician. With our product you save both time and money, says Andreas.
The PoE converter in general is not a unique product. The difference between a standard PoE converter and a PoE trigger from CTS, is that the CTS product excels with remote problem solving. Initially, the idea came from a customer who was investigating whether CTS could create a special solution for them. After some brainstorming, an engineer took the plunge and CTS delivered its first PoE converter upon request. Since the turn of the year, the PoE trigger has been in the standard range at CTS. The network producer is now hoping to reach out to a new target group – something they believe is possible with this new product.
We know that there are many companies out there struggling with this daily. They send out technician after technician, and do not know that there is actually a better solution to the problem, Andreas elaborates.
The special thing about the product is that it is basically non-irritating. Thanks to talented engineers and technicians, CTS managed to make the product more advanced than standard products on the market, with the function of solving network problems remotely – something that many probably didn’t think was possible.
Facts about Power over Ethernet (PoE):
- The standard has existed since 2003.
- PoE is a technology that makes it possible to deliver power and data over an Ethernet cable at the same time, which simplifies the installation of network devices such as IP cameras or wireless Wi-Fi access points.
- Over the years, more products have been introduced that are powered and send data in the same cable. They have also increased the power capacity – allowing for more power to be sent than what was initially possible when the first PoE products were launched on the market.
How CTS’s new PoEconverter works:
- The function of a PoE trigger enables the restart of network equipment remotely.
- The converter consists of a fiber port and a copper port, with the PoE equipment connected on the copper side. When the fiber side is then turned off remotely, the copper side automatically goes down, and the connected PoE equipment is also turned off.
- With this function, you can either restart the equipment or completely turn off the power, thus saving on electricity.
- In summary, the PoE converter from CTS can save companies both time and money.